We always do our best to make sure you get where you need to be on time. But sometimes things don’t always go to plan. Our Delay Repay scheme lets you claim back some or all of the cost of your ticket if you’re delayed by 30 minutes or more. No matter what caused the delay.
What is Delay Repay?
Delay Repay is our way of saying sorry, and thanks for staying loyal to us even when there’s a hiccup. The scheme is designed to make sure everybody gets a fair reimbursement if they are significantly delayed.
Whilst delays and disruption are often out of our hands,we understand your frustration and are sorry for the inconvenience they cause. In the event of significant delays,we think it’s only fair that you receive compensation.
So if you’re delayed by 30 minutes or more during your journey, you’re entitled to compensation in line with our Delay Repay scheme.
All ticket holders (with the exception of free tickets redeemed through the Virgin Trains East Coast Rewards loyalty scheme) can receive compensation, no matter what caused the delay.
How does Delay Repay work?
If you arrive at your destination late due to the cancellation or delay of an Virgin Trains East Coast service, you can submit a claim as follows:
* ‘Portion’ means either the outward or the return part of a return ticket. ‘Relevant’ means the portion of the journey on which you were delayed.
When you purchase two separate Advance Single tickets to make a round trip, these don’t constitute a return ticket. The maximum claim will be 100% of the value of the ticket used for the specific journey on which you were delayed.
Delay Repay for Season Tickets
If you have a weekly Season Ticket, please send it along with your form, once it has expired. If you have a monthly or longer Season Ticket, please include a photocopy of it with your completed form.
Delay Repay for Season Ticket holders works in the way as described above, except the “cost of your single ticket” is calculated like this:
- price of weekly Season Ticket divided by 10
- price of monthly Season Ticket divided by 44
- price of annual Season Ticket divided by 520.
Sustained poor peak performance
If you make 12 or more valid Delay Repay claims in any four week period you will be offered, on top of your Delay Repay compensation:
- either two complimentary journeys on Virgin Trains East Coast, or
- National Rail travel vouchers to the value of a single journey between the stations for which your season ticket is valid.
You can choose which one you want to receive. If you suffer a period of sustained poor peak* punctuality and you’re a Season Ticket holder, we may be able to pay out over and above the arrangements set out above. Additional compensation will be agreed in consultation with Passenger Focus and London TravelWatch.
‘Peak’ is defined as trains scheduled to arrive at London King’s Cross between 07:00 and 09:59, and trains scheduled to depart from London King’s Cross between 16:00 and 18:59, on Mondays to Fridays, excluding Bank Holidays.
How to claim Delay Repay
To process your claim we’re going to need to know as much as possible about your trip. So to help us do this please:
- Complete a Delay Repay form, you can do this online.
- If you are posting a form to us, please enclose your validated ticket and your seat reservation coupon – though please don’t staple them together. Normally a member of staff will stamp and validate your ticket/seat reservation voucher on board.
- If you have a monthly or annual Season Ticket, send a photocopy of your ticket. If you have a weekly Season Ticket, please send your claim after your ticket expires and enclose it with your form.
About your claim
- Any successful claims will be reimbursed in National Rail Travel Vouchers
- We only pay compensation under one scheme per journey. For example, if you were delayed by 30 minutes or more and the seat you reserved wasn’t available, then you would be entitled to make a claim from the scheme that offers you the most compensation
- We do not normally accept refund claims under Delay Repay if you were advised of the delay before you bought your ticket.
- We do treat each claim on its merits though and never automatically rule out compensation
- Completion of this form does not guarantee compensation, or create any new legal relationship with you as a result of what we say we will do. Nor does it affect your legal rights
- Please take care when completing your Claim Form. To validate claims, we have monitoring systems for checking customer details, ticket types and other information provided. It is important that you write in block capitals within the boxes provided
- This form will only be used to investigate claims against ‘Delay Repay’ or ‘Seat Guarantee’ schemes. If you wish to comment on any other aspect of our service, please contact our Customer Relations team at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We don't accept liability for any loss caused by delay to your journey, cancellation of any train, missed connection, or closure of the railway
- For further information on our commitments to our customers you can read our Passenger’s Charter online at www.virgintrainseastcoast.com, or pick up a copy from any of our stations