The great train versus plane face off
Which one is fastest? Which one is more comfortable? Take a look below to find out which is the far better ride...
We asked couples about their experiences...
Are we there yet?
Edinburgh Waverley Station is located in the centre of Edinburgh
Station entrance to platforms - 5 mins
Train journey time - 4 hours 21 mins
Total travel time - 4 hours 26 mins
Travel to Edinburgh Airport - 30 mins
Checking in/security checks - 1 hour
Flight time - 1 hour 35 mins
Luggage pick-up at Heathrow - 29 mins
Travel to central London from Heathrow - 50 mins
Total travel time - 4 hours 24 mins
The hidden costs of flying
**Station transfers - £10.50 each way
Seat booking - absolutely free
Extra luggage - free
Around £70 each way
**Seat booking - £10 each way
Extra luggage - £20 each way
Airport transfer - £40 each way
Are you sitting comfortably?
Stretch out in plush, reclining, leather-lined seats with plenty of legroom - plus a table, a socket and free-Wi-Fi.
Squeeze into a narrow seat with no table or Wi-Fi (might do terrible things to the flight instruments).
Arrive more awesome
On your next journey take the train next time, it's a far better ride.
- Travel from Waverley Bridge in Edinburgh city centre to airport by Airlink Service 100 or taxi – 30 mins approximately (http://www.edinburghairport.com/transport-links/buses-and-coaches and http://www.edinburghairport.com/transport-links/taxis)
- Airport checking in/security checks – 60 mins allowance time recommended by Edinburgh Airport (Edinburgh Airport FAQs http://www.edinburghairport.com/help/faqs#Generaltravelenquiries)
- Flight journey time 95 mins, (Edinburgh Airport to Heathrow Airport (T5) BA.com) 07.00 flight from Edinburgh, arrives 08.35)
- Waiting for luggage at London Heathrow airport 29 mins (Daily Telegraph article published 14/05/14, timings based on research carried out by sendmybag.com)
- Travel to central London out of rush hour 50 mins (Heathrow Airport (T5) to Piccadilly Underground station via tfl.gov.uk)
- £40 taxi journey based on average journey time over 2 London based airports (Heathrow and London city) to Central London. Monday to Friday 05:00 - 20:00 tariff. Heathrow to Central London based on a 19 mile journey to Central London. London City to Central London based on a 9 mile journey - full tariff can be found via https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/taxis-and-minicabs/taxi-fares (July 2016)
- Seat booking fee and luggage check prices based on the average cost across the 4 most popular carriers for this route (EasyJet, Ryanair, Flybe and British Airways; July 2016).
- Edinburgh Waverley Station located at Waverley Bridge, in the centre of Edinburgh
- Hop on board (5 mins from Edinburgh Waverley station entrance to platforms)
- Average Virgin Trains journey time is 261 mins, Edinburgh Waverley Railway Station to London King's Cross (virgintrainseastcoast.com)
- Hop off the train (average time allowance for passengers to collect bag and step off train)
- Train station transfers based on a 6 km journey within the city centre (https://www.numbeo.com/taxi-fare/in/Edinburgh)
This is an estimated fare. The actual fare might differ due to time of the day, tolls, works (available routes), different car companies, error in collecting prices.