Free Virgin Trains East Coast Travel
East Coast Rewards is closed
And any unredeemed points have now been deleted. Of course, if you redeemed points on a reward before the 30 September 2015 deadline, then you can still enjoy your treats at your leisure and the same terms and conditions apply.
Take a look at our other loyalty schemes
Use your Rewards Points to enjoy a free Virgin Trains East Coast trip
If you've still got free tickets in your account, don't hang about. They'll need using within six months of when you redeemed them. So take a look at our Destinations section for a little inspiration.
Find out More
- It pays to plan ahead: you can normally book your free tickets up to 12 weeks in advance but it needs to be at least seven days before you want to travel.
- Your tickets are only valid on the booked train. It’s not possible to change them or get a refund.
- Certain times of year are so busy that the availability of free tickets has to be restricted or suspended. This includes peak travel periods, bank holidays, school holidays and over the Christmas and New Year period. Current excluded dates are: 26 to 29 August 2016 inclusive.
Travelling with children?
If you’re booking tickets for children alongside your free tickets, simply select the number of children’s tickets you need in your search. You can book up to three children’s tickets for each adult free ticket. It costs £5 for a Standard single child ticket and £10 for a First Class single child ticket.
Can’t find any free tickets?
If there are no free tickets (£0) showing up for the dates you’ve selected, it could be because:
• There are no free tickets available for the dates or times you’ve chosen
• Your journey can’t be made entirely with Virgin Trains East Coast
• You’re not booking at least seven days in advance of your journey
• You’ve selected more adults than the number of free tickets you’re eligible for
• You’ve selected more than three children for one adult free ticket
Collecting your tickets
You can print your free tickets at home, using our Self-Print facility, collect them from a ticket or departure machine at any of our stations (if you have no additional purchases), or we can post them to you (for a small postage fee).
Travel using free Rewards tickets is not available on the following dates - 26 to 29 August 2016 inclusive.
Don’t forget to keep your eight-character booking reference safe. You’ll need it when you collect your tickets from a ticket machine, along with your debit or credit card. If you’ve made any additional purchases, such as a London Travelcard or child tickets, your card needs to be the same one you used when paying.
How to book tickets
- Enter your journey details in the booking panel. Remember, the number of adult passengers can’t exceed the number of free tickets.
- Any available free tickets for your chosen journey time will show as £0. If you’re also booking child tickets, the price will be displayed - £5 for a Standard single and £10 for a First Class single. You can book up to three child tickets for every one adult free ticket.
Once you’ve selected your tickets, follow the usual booking process through to check out. Remember to keep your booking confirmation safe as you’ll need it to collect your tickets.
Terms & conditions
- Free tickets are valid for Virgin Trains East Coast First Class or Standard single train tickets for journeys operated by Virgin Trains East Coast.
- Free Rewards tickets are subject to availability at Virgin Trains East Coast's discretion. For example, they may not be available at peak times or key periods such as Bank Holidays, Christmas and New Year, or special events. There will be no availability between 26 to 29 August 2016 inclusive. Rewards tickets are allocated on a first-come, first-served basis. If the tickets on the Virgin Trains East Coast train on which you wish to travel have already been allocated, you will need to select an alternative service that has availability.
- All Rewards tickets are for travel on Virgin Trains East Coast trains only.
- Bookings using Rewards tickets must be made a minimum of seven days in advance of travel. The earlier you book, the more likely you are to get your preferred travel dates and times. Reservations are available up to 12 weeks in advance of travel.
- Each Rewards ticket is valid for six months from redemption.
- Rewards tickets are only valid on the booked date and time, as specified on the reservation coupon.
- No changes can be made to journey details once booked.
- You may not break and resume your journey at an intermediate station, except to change to or from connecting Virgin Trains East Coast trains as shown on your ticket.
- Up to three child (ages 5-15) tickets can be booked with each adult ticket, at a cost of £5 Standard and £10 First Class one way per child.
- Up to two children under the age of five per ticket can travel free but no seat reservation will be issued.
- Rewards First Class tickets are now allowed in all Virgin Trains East Coast First Class Lounges.
- Rewards tickets have no cash value and cannot be exchanged for a cash alternative, refund or any other ticket.
- In the event that your booked train has been cancelled or severely delayed, you are permitted to travel on the next available service, on this occasion. Your seating accommodation is not guaranteed. Rewards train tickets are non-refundable. Points will not be reinstated if you miss your train, or if your booked train is cancelled or severely delayed. No compensation will be made in respect of delays or train cancellations experienced when using a Rewards ticket to travel.
- Rewards tickets are transferable and can be booked for someone else.
- Children aged 11 and under may not travel unaccompanied using Rewards tickets.
- You must present your tickets and reservations on board at the time of travel or at any other time at the request of Virgin Trains East Coast staff or their representatives.
- Rewards tickets must not be offered for sale or exchanged in any way for gain, including utilisation in lotteries, raffles or any other means as a prize or part thereof. Rewards tickets cannot be resold. Virgin Trains East Coast reserves the right to suspend or cancel Rewards tickets and Rewards membership if fraudulent use is suspected.
- All passengers are carried subject to the normal terms and conditions of Virgin Trains East Coast and the National Rail Conditions of Carriage.
Whatever happened to East Coast Rewards?
East Coast Rewards is now a thing of the past. We’ve replaced it with two loyalty schemes with broader benefits: Nectar and Virgin Atlantic Flying Club.