East Coast Rewards: message from East Coast, Stagecoach and Virgin
As you may be aware, Virgin Trains East Coast, a company led by Stagecoach and Virgin, have now taken over the East Coast Main Line franchise. This page is to let you know about the new owners’ plans for the East Coast Rewards loyalty scheme. Customers travelling with Virgin Trains East Coast will have access to both Nectar, the UK's largest loyalty programme, and the Virgin Atlantic Flying Club. From 1 March 2015 onwards, this replaces the Rewards scheme.
You can collect Nectar points or Flying club miles on any Virgin Trains East Coast journey booked through the Virgin Trains East Coast website.
Customers can spend their Nectar points when booking a Virgin Trains East Coast Advance ticket through the Virgin Trains East Coast website, which is a first for the rail industry. Nectar also offers a wide choice of other rewards for customers to spend their points on, including days out, entertainment and charity donations.
Many existing Rewards members have Rewards Points they want to use, and whilst the scheme closed on 28 February, existing Rewards Points can be redeemed up to and including 30 September 2015 against the current range of rewards. Alternatively, existing Rewards Points can be converted into Nectar points. Virgin Trains East Coast have contacted all members of the existing East Coast Rewards scheme with information on Nectar and how they can redeem their existing Rewards Points or convert them to Nectar points.
Further details about Nectar and the closure of Rewards can be found below:
1. Closure of the existing Rewards scheme:
- Members stopped being able to earn Rewards Points for bookings made at eastcoast.co.uk on the 28 February 2015. No Rewards Points can be issued for bookings made after that date
- Points which were still ‘pending’ on 1 March 2015 were made live and available to redeem shortly after that date
- All unused Rewards Points can be redeemed up to and including 30 September 2015.
2. Rewards for Season Ticket Holders
- The Rewards scheme for Season Ticket Holders has closed. Points for travel made to the end of February 2015 were awarded in early March 2015 and these were the final Rewards Points issued regardless of the expiry date of the Season Ticket
- Nectar points cannot currently be collected for Season Tickets purchased at Virgin Trains East Coast Travel Centres, though Virgin Trains East Coast is currently considering packages of benefits for East Coast Season Ticket holders.
3. Business Rewards (Rewards for Business Travel Agent bookings)
- The Rewards scheme for East Coast bookings made through participating Business Travel Agents has also closed. Points for bookings made during February 2015 were awarded in early March 2015 and these were the final Rewards Points issued through the Business Rewards scheme
- Nectar points cannot be collected for bookings made through Business Travel Agents though Virgin Trains East Coast is currently considering alternative packages of benefits for customers who book their travel through Business Travel Agents.
- Nectar is now available to customers who book their travel through the Virgin Trains East Coast website as of 1 March 2015
- In order to be eligible to collect Nectar points for bookings made at the website, customers need to be a Nectar cardholder and are required to enter the last 11 digits of their Nectar card number no later than 24 hours after their booking
- Once registered, customers will receive 2 Nectar points for every full £1 spent on Virgin Trains East Coast tickets at the Virgin Trains East Coast website. Nectar points cannot be collected for tickets valid only for usage with other train companies. Nectar points are credited within 28 days of the booking
- Any unused Rewards Points can be converted to Nectar points up to and including 30 September 2015. Virgin Trains East Coast have contacted all Rewards members to make them aware of how they can convert their Rewards Points to Nectar points
- Nectar points can be used towards Virgin Trains East Coast Advance fares
- For further information about the Nectar programme, including the range of rewards available to Nectar cardholders, please see www.nectar.com.
If you have any questions about loyalty programmes at Virgin Trains East Coast please contact us.