We may change this policy from time to time by updating this page. You should check this page from time to time to ensure you are happy with any changes. This policy is effective from 1 March 2015.
Information we may collect, may include, by way of example:
- your name and contact information, including email address and company details;
- your billing information, transaction and payment card information;
- information regarding your personal or professional interests, demographics, experiences with our products and contact preferences in order to provide you with further correspondence about our products and services.
What do we do with the information we collect?
We will hold and use your personal information on our computer systems and we may pass this personal information to third party service providers for the explicit purposes set out below.
We will use this information for the following reasons:
- to reply to feedback via the SMS feedback service;
- to process transactions and fulfil tickets;
- internal record keeping and maintenance;
- to improve our products and services;
- to treat you more personally;
- to tailor how our site can help you;
- for analysis about how customers use the website;
- for analysis of our marketing activities;
- to facilitate the delivery of loyalty scheme activity (including Nectar, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club and Virgin Red);
- to track usage of particular websites through the on-board and Hotspot Wi-Fi;
- to follow up if you have purchased goods or services from our website;
- to follow up as part of our customer care procedures; and/or
- to contact you for market research purposes (see the section under “Marketing” below).
Card payment details
Payment card data will be stored on the website for 90 days (a period of time to allow for changes to a journey). When purchasing a ticket, if you select to 'Remember this card', your card details will be stored in 'My Account' for 18 months after the date of your last booking.
We may use your personal information to contact you with offers, promotions and communications in line with the consent you have provided.
In relation to email (as opposed to post or fax), if you are a customer or have previously asked us for information on our products or services, we may send you information on our range of products and services by email, unless you have asked us not to do so. We may also email you information if you have asked us to send you marketing emails unless you ask us not to in the future. In relation to receiving marketing and other information from us, you may change your mind at any time by accessing 'My Account' on the Virgin Trains East Coast Main Line Company Limited website or by emailing email@example.com.
Who do we share this information with?
We respect your privacy and will not sell or lease your personal information. We may pass this personal information to third party service providers to facilitate the activities listed at “What do we do with the information we collect?”. These third party companies will be required to use your personal information in accordance with applicable Data Protection legislation currently in force.
We may transfer your personal information to any company who takes over the East Coast Main Line Company Limited, trading as Virgin Trains East Coast to enable them to use that information in line with the consent you have provided, or where lawfully requested or required to do so by legal or regulatory authorities.
This process may include sending personal information to other countries, whose data protection laws may not be as extensive as in the European Economic Area. However, we have taken appropriate steps to ensure the same level of protection for the processing carried out in these countries as within the European Economic Area
How to get copies of or amend the information we have collected?
You may request a copy of the personal information that we hold about you under the Data Protection Act 1998. A small fee may be payable. If you would like details of the personal information we store about you, please write to:
Virgin Trains East Coast Customer Relations
If you think any information we have about you is incorrect or incomplete, please write or email us as soon as possible at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect on line. We use encryption when collecting or transferring sensitive data such as credit card information.
We may link to other websites which are not within our control. Once you have left our website, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy and cookie statements applicable to the website in question.