Dining in First Class
An even tastier journey
Tastebuds, get excited. We’ve teamed up with award-winning chef James Martin to bring you a new and exclusive First Class menu. Each and every dish is created with locally sourced, high-quality ingredients – recommended by the man himself.
Now that’s First Class.
Our menus change depending on the time of day, and day of the week you’re travelling - our crew members will make sure you’ve got the right menu for your journey.
If your trip with us is 70 minutes or less, we’ll treat you to a complimentary light bite and drink of your choice, subject to availability. See our food and drink options.
Complimentary First Class dining on weekends and bank holidays
Although we don't serve hot food or alcohol at the weekend or on bank holidays, we still have delicious breakfast options and a selection of sarnies for the rest of the day – all come with James Martin's seal of approval, and are served to your seat (subject to on-the-day availability*).
Looking for our festive menu? Take a look at our First Class menus page.
Something to drink?
We'll ensure you remain refreshed with hot and cold drinks served along the way.
Complimentary alcoholic drinks from a selection of fine wines, beers and spirits are served to our First Class customers aged over 18 on weekday services from lunchtime.
A great choice of wines
We've a notable selection recommended by our team who have a nose for wines that… ahem, travel well.
Cheese board selection
Round off your meal with two fine cheeses from the cheese board.
Our superb british cheeses are all specifically selected to perfectly complement our menu options. So no matter which dish you enjoy, we’ve got the cheese to finish off your meal. Which is nice. With a well-chosen wine, tangy apple slices, Black sheep ale chutney and crackers you’ll be forgiven for forgetting you’re on a train.
Each of our menu rotations includes either a gluten-free option, or one that can be prepared as gluten-free.
Local suppliers, fresh ingredients
Wherever possible we source our food from trusted suppliers with a reputation for quality who are local to the East Coast route.
Latest great value fares...
Travelling First Class can cost less than you think – take a look at some of our great value fares.
*Availability on the day
Our food and drink in First Class is complimentary, which means we want you to enjoy it for free. However, we can’t always guarantee that there will be specific food items and drinks on board.
Our menu pages aim to give you an idea of what’s available, but occasionally we may have to offer you a different selection, and on very rare occasions, we may not have any complimentary food and drink available in First Class.
Here’s a list of instances or circumstances where complimentary food or drink may not be available in First Class. Again, they’re very much the exception rather than the rule, but we do want to make sure you’re aware of them.
- Sometimes crews may not be able to provide the offer or the service as the train is too heavily loaded, and aisles are blocked, which makes it unsafe or impossible for the crew to take a food trolley down our First Class carriages
- A very short journey, where the crew don’t have time in First Class to get to the recently boarded passenger, before he or she alights (for example someone joining at Durham and leaves at York) – this is detailed on the website.
- Where there’s no hot water, because of issues with the boiler or quality of water supply – we mightn’t be able to offer some products like hot drinks.
- The number of customers boarding significantly exceeds expectations. Obviously, trains welcome ‘walk up’ passengers, so there’s always an element of the unknown – we do keep extra stocks on board to cover walk up passenger requirements, and we base it on forecasts – but from time to time the unexpected will happen.
- Short notice staff shortage e.g. sickness or service disruptions, which can mean our staff can’t get to where they need to be – this can cause an issue especially if that member of staff is a chef.
Got a question? See our onboard FAQs