First Class is calling you
Treat yourself and bid for a last-minute upgrade.
We want to give you more opportunities to experience our amazing First Class when you travel on our trains. So we’re bringing a world first to UK rail by teaming up with Seatfrog, an awesome new app for bidding on last-minute seat upgrades.
Whether you’re travelling for business or pleasure, use Seatfrog to bid to upgrade your Standard Advance ticket from as little as £5* and you could be jumping into a First Class seat.
Tell me more…
Seatfrog is currently exclusively available to customers who book direct through the Virgin Trains East Coast website, with the service becoming more widely available over the upcoming months.
To be eligible, you should:
- Book a Virgin Trains East Coast Standard Advance ticket via this website.
- Travel on a Virgin Trains East Coast service between Monday and Friday.
If you book tickets on an eligible service, we'll email you to let you know.
How does Seatfrog work?
Enter your booking reference
Once you’ve booked your standard Advance ticket, download the Seatfrog app and sign up. Enter your booking reference when prompted, and we’ll show you what upgrades are available for your journey
Bidding usually starts a few hours before your scheduled departure – Seatfrog will notify you as soon as the auction is due to start. It’s free to take part in the auctions, and you only pay if you win. Plus, we'll keep you posted with instant alerts so you don't miss a thing.
Upgrade in seconds
The moment you win, we’ll send your upgrade straight to your phone. It’s that easy.
With more seats and services available for upgrade every day, download Seatfrog to make your next bid for First Class today.
Our onboard benefits get better and better
That’s right, you can almost feel it… the plush carpets, the reclining leather seat, all that extra leg room. We’ve been working hard to make our First Class experience just right, whether you’re in the market for relaxation or need room to work with free Wi-Fi and plug sockets. We’ve even teamed up with award-winning chef James Martin, to bring you gloriously tasty food for a gloriously tasty journey. Deeeelish!
Note menu options may vary based on date, time of day and availability. Check our First Class dining pages to see what’s cooking.
*Terms and conditions (Seatfrog)
- This Seatfrog upgrade auction offer can only be used by recipients of relevant offer emails and accompanying customers travelling on the same booking reference.
- Seatfrog upgrade auctions are available on selected Virgin Trains East Coast services only, with at least 1 seat available on eligible services in operation.
- Each First Class upgrade is valid for a single person travelling on the booking reference number entered into the Seatfrog App, and is for the stipulated one-way journey only. Upgrades can only be used in conjunction with a Virgin Trains East Coast standard Advance ticket.
- Customers travelling in a group on the same booking reference may participate individually in Seatfrog upgrade auctions. Each member of the group must register with Seatfrog and bid independently. Due to the last minute nature of Seatfrog upgrade auctions we cannot guarantee every member of the group will win an upgrade auction or be sat together if an upgrade bid is successful.
- Upon payment of the upgrade fee, customers are issued with a First Class upgrade barcode within the Seatfrog app. The upgrade barcode, on your mobile phone, along with your original Standard Advance ticket must be presented to the Train Manager when travelling on board the train. Please also retain your original tickets to pass through the station ticket barriers. Without both the First Class upgrade barcode and the original Standard Advance ticket, the upgrade is not valid.
- Seatfrog upgrades are verified by the Train Manager on board the train. If the customer is unable to produce a valid barcode on their mobile device, they may be charged for a full price upgrade. It is the customers’ responsibility to ensure their mobile device is fully charged as verification can take place at any point during the train journey.
- First Class upgrades purchased via the Seatfrog app also include access to the Virgin Trains First Class Lounges located along the east coast route at Edinburgh Waverley, Berwick-upon-Tweed, Newcastle, Darlington, Doncaster, Leeds, Wakefield and London King’s Cross.
- Upgrades are available across the Virgin Trains East Coast network at a starting price from as little as £5.
- The upgrades are also eligible for Delay Repay compensation should the service you are travelling on be delayed by 30 minutes or more.
- First Class complimentary service varies according to date, time of day and the journey being made.
- Seatfrog First Class upgrades are not eligible for Virgin Trains West Coast services.